About Ligado Networks:
At Ligado Networks, we’re all about connectivity.
Ligado Networks is a Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) operator providing facilities-based services to the public safety, government, and enterprise segments. The Company’s services and products are traditionally used when land-based networks are impacted by a disaster situation and in areas not served by wireless carriers. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently authorized the Company’s MSS spectrum licenses for advanced wireless services, which creates new opportunities to expand Ligado’s technology capabilities and evolve its commercial plans for the emerging 5G future. Working with partners and key vendors to execute its near-term roadmap, Ligado is planning to enhance its MSS network for Internet-of-Things (IOT) services and introduce new, innovative terrestrially based services.
Principal Engineer, Regulatory Analysis
The person in this position will be responsible for technical and regulatory analysis to support the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) rulemakings and consultations from other administrations. Additional responsibilities include L-Band spectrum management technical support for Ligado Network’s satellite network and communications infrastructure.
The position reports directly to the VP, Network Engineering and Operations. The position requires a strong interface with other Ligado teams.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Conduct technical analyses including compatibility between satellite networks and terrestrial services as well as demonstrating compliance with FCC, ISED and ITU rules.
- Serve as technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the Regulatory analysis within Ligado and coordinate with the legal team and consultants to prepare and submit all materials required for authorizations and licensing filings to Regulatory Organizations such as FCC and ISED
- Provide technical and regulatory and Satellite systems analysis for internal stakeholders to support on-going Ligado projects
- Strong working knowledge of satellite systems architectures and networks including the associated ground segment/networks, beam forming, frequency reuse techniques, link budget and interference analysis.
- Manage systems engineering activities in support of Ligado Network’s Corporate Goals, including but not limited to, the installation, configuration, and RF calibration of SCMS (satellite carrier monitoring system) sites to support Ligado’s 24/7 operation of the Ligado satellite network.
- Familiar with use RF/microwave test equipment, including spectrum analyzers, vector signal and network analyzers, power meters, among others, to evaluate RF system performance for the satellite and ground networks.
- Must meet eligibility requirements for CGP (Controlled Goods Program) and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) export control programs.
- Experience with test automation software a plus. Familiarity with antenna tracking systems for GEO spacecraft in inclined orbit. Includes mechanical operation of antenna support infrastructure.
- Superior organization and multi-tasking skills. Strong interpersonal skills both verbal and written English. Proficient with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
We strongly value your talent, energy and passion. It will also be valuable to Ligado Networks if you have the following qualifications:
- Minimum Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering. Master’s degree in Engineering and a Professional Engineer (PE) status for applicants from Canada preferred.
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in the Satellite Communication industry or in the Telecommunication field with 5 years’ experience in working on Regulatory analysis
- Work Experience with or for Regulatory Organizations such as FCC, and ISED
- Strong Satellite Communication domain knowledge with understanding of Satellites characteristics (GEO, MEO, LEO) and associated performances
- Good knowledge of Satcom regulation and spectrum management policies and Committees (ITU, FCC, ISED)
- Excellent organizational skills to ensure that the Regulatory Compliance status is up-to-date and clearly communicated within the Ligado Technology and Network engineering and Operations organization
- Strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills. Focus on accuracy and detail.
- Self-starter, must be able to perform job responsibilities with minimal direction
- Ability to synthetize complex ideas into clear and concise statements
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse community of stakeholders
- Good understanding of the Telecommunication technologies including networking, bandwidth / resource management and RF performance assessments
- Knowledge of systems and hardware engineering processes and methodologies
- Knowledge of phased array antenna systems and beamforming theory. Ability to visualize beam contours and assess link performance.
- Experience with system modelling and network / satellite simulation tools
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Python, C/C++, MATLAB and experience with data analysis and visualization using tools such as Grafana, Splunk, or OriginLab will be a plus.
Click here to submit your cover letter and resume via our online portal.