About Ligado Networks:
At Ligado Networks, we are all about connectivity.
As a network service operator, we are driven by the power of connectivity. Its importance to the way we live, and work has never been more pervasive. Our connected life is supported by many networks ranging from satellite connectivity that extends mobile coverage to the most remote areas in the U.S. to wireless connectivity that is supporting an explosion of mobile data traffic. At Ligado Networks, we believe in the tried-and-true formula for America’s global leadership in wireless—that more spectrum availability and continued investment in wireless infrastructure can deliver more innovative ways to connect people, devices, objects, vehicles, and buildings in an increasingly mobile lifestyle and economy.
Based in Reston, Virginia, with an office in Ottawa Ontario, Ligado Networks is led by an experienced management team and Board of Directors with extensive backgrounds in telecommunications, technology, and public policy. We are looking for a Network Technologist in our Ottawa Office.
Network Technologist (Satellite)
We are looking for a Technologist to provide technical support for Ligado Network’s RF and microwave satellite ground segment communications infrastructure.
Key Job Requirements/Functions:
- Operational shift work with rotational on call duties supporting 24/7 Satellite Network activities.
- Routine maintenance of equipment following specific procedures and guidelines.
- Satellite Antenna Maintenance (11M, 7M, and smaller dishes).
- Various RF equipment including TWTA, Up & Down Converters, switching, & Monitor & Control (M&C) systems.
- Daily system verification, troubleshooting and repair of issues.
- Demand and assign Voice and Data systems over Satellite.
- Network / Telecommunications links.
- Ability to analyze RF signals using Spectrum Analyzers, Power Meters, Scopes, & Satellite Carrier Monitoring Systems.
- Responsible for multiple Satellite Gateways, with the majority of work being done locally from the Ottawa office.
- Knowledge of IP Networks, Telecommunications protocols.
- Provide written reports and to update/changes of documents in various Tier-2 operational procedures
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Access, & PowerPoint.
- When On-Call: Must be available for network emergencies 24 x 7; evenings / weekends & work in emergencies.
- Strong focus on continuous quality improvements and decision-making ability.
- Creating and maintaining technical drawings of RF communications equipment.
- Occasional travel to Satellite Carrier Monitoring System sites, the Reston VA office, external Gateways (Saskatoon, Dallas, Napa) is required.
- Knowledge of active and passive RF/microwave equipment including TWTA, SSPA, up & down converters, switching, waveguide, filters, high precision time and frequency references.
- Experience with test automation software.
- Familiarity with antenna tracking systems including mechanical operation of antenna support infrastructure.
- Position requires carrying a cell phone during on and off-hours.
- Must meet eligibility requirements for CGP (Controlled Goods Program) and ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) export control programs.
- Strong interpersonal skills both verbal and written English.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
We strongly value your talent, energy and passion. It will also be valuable to Ligado Networks if you have the following qualifications:
- Three (3) year Technical or Associates Degree with a minimum of five (5) years related experience in the industry with exposure to and experience in RF and Satellite technologies.
- Strong diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite is required.
- Familiar with the operation of spectrum analyzer and related equipment.
- Knowledge of Linux OS and ability to navigate remote systems using a terminal is desirable.
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Golang, Python, C/C++, MATLAB will be a plus.
- Experience / knowledge of data analysis and visualization using tools such as Grafana, Splunk, OriginLab, MATLAB, or Python.
- Knowledge of industry standard ITIL tools such as ServiceNow for Incident, Change and Problem management.
- Understanding principles and use of Monitor & Control Systems, as well as telecommunications networking equipment such as IP routers and switches.
- Ability to monitor and control remote equipment with SNMP, socket interfaces, and other proprietary M&C protocols.
- Focus on accuracy and detail.
- Organization and multi-tasking skills.
- The ability to work well with minimal supervision and to meet deadlines.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs and ladders, satellite dishes; working at heights; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Office environment with shared space, Network Operations Centers, Operations & Satellite Gateways. Noise level is medium to high PPE provided. This role will work a rotating shift schedule of days, evenings and weekends and must be available for a 24/7 rotating on call schedule.
- Office location includes parking, on-site gym, and 24/7 security.
We offer a competitive salary range and bonus depending upon experience. We provide excellent training and support. We offer highly competitive benefits, RRSP and Pension contribution matching. Ideally, we are looking for candidates who want a long-term role and who have the right work ethic, a lot of common sense, initiative and who thrive in a fast-paced, teamwork environment. Candidates must have a valid passport and be available for some US travel. Successful hires must pass CGP (Controlled Goods Program) clearance. Ligado Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click here to submit your cover letter and resume via our online portal.