About Ligado Networks:
At Ligado Networks, we’re all about connectivity.
As a network service operator, we are driven by the power of connectivity. Its importance to the way we live and work has never been more pervasive. Our connected life is supported by many networks ranging from satellite connectivity that extends mobile coverage to the most remote areas in the U.S. to wireless connectivity that is supporting an explosion of mobile data traffic. At Ligado Networks, we believe in the tried-and-true formula for America’s global leadership in wireless—that more spectrum availability and continued investment in wireless infrastructure can deliver more innovative ways to connect people, devices, objects, vehicles, and buildings in an increasingly mobile lifestyle and economy.
Based in Reston, Virginia, with an office in Ottawa Ontario, Ligado Networks is led by an experienced management team and Board of Directors with extensive backgrounds in telecommunications, technology, and public policy.
Network Operation Center Technician
Ligado Networks is looking for a highly motivated Network Operations Center Technician to be a part of our team located in Reston VA. The individual will perform Tier1 Network Monitoring and Support of Ligado’s Next Generation Satellite Based Network.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
• Monitor space-based Satellite & Terrestrial Network system components and applications to ensure uninterrupted service to fixed and mobile devices across North America.
• Strong commitment towards customer service and ensuring a high Network Availability.
• Utilize network monitoring and management tools to perform initial diagnosis and resolution of network troubles, when necessary direct repair through escalation to Tier II and Tier III level teams.
• Responsible for alarm response, monitoring & control of multiple satellite feederlink earth stations, Satellite Telemetry, Nortel communications systems, Satellite Carrier Monitoring Systems, CISCO Network Systems, Regional TV broadcast systems, environmental and emergency power systems
• Categorize incident severity, document, and provide detailed report of impacting network incidents thru the ServiceNow Trouble Ticketing Service Alerts.
• Leverage industry best practice troubleshooting skills, Network Management tools, and available resources to quickly resolve network problems.
• Update ticket documentation and generate maintenance notifications during system reconfigurations or scheduled maintenance events.
• Maintain an Incident Management system and enforce our escalation policy within Ligado to ensure Incident resolution.
• Provide Customer Technical Support to our Service Providers by investigating Customer related issues.
• Produce accurate & detailed incident log entries for daily up-reporting to Ligado management.
• Perform other duties as assigned by NOC supervisor or NOC manager.
• This position is part of a 24x7x365 team and will require shift work (8-, 10- or 12-hour shifts) that includes days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Education and Qualifications:
• Minimum Associate Degree and/or Technical Diploma and/or a degree in engineering or computer science is a plus.
• Position requires at least 3-5 years of Network Operations experience of Satellite and/or Telecommunications networks, such as fixed or mobile satellite or wireless networks, terrestrial long-distance voice/data or IP networks.
• CCNA or CompTIA Network+ certificate
• Ability to troubleshoot RF/Other network related problems effectively in a Network Operations environment using a spectrum analyzer/power meter.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to plan, coordinate and set priorities.
• Desire and ability to learn new technologies and communication protocols.
• Knowledge of key Operations related ITIL practices (i.e., Incident Management and Change Management) are an asset.
• Ability to Acquire and Maintain a broad knowledge base of Ligado network products and services for coordinated incident management.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Excellent analytical, organizational, multitasking, prioritizing, and teamwork skills.
• Candidates must meet eligibility requirements (i.e., US Citizen or US Green Card Holder) for ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulation) Programs
- Knowledge of industry standard Tools such as ServiceNow, ScienceLogic, PRTG/Cisco Works, SiteScan
- Basic/advanced knowledge of Linux, UNIX, XML, HTML, MS Access
- Databases tools: MS Access, MySQL, Oracle & Origin
- Provide accurate/detailed problem analysis and severity incident classification on multiple systems
- Experience in Windows/Linux operating environment with MS Office Suite experience to include Access
- Work well with minimal supervision
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs, ladders, or satellite dishes; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Office environment with shared space in the Network Operations Control center. Noise level is low to medium. The candidate must be able to work a flexible shift schedule of early morning, afternoon-evenings, midnight and weekends. Position requires sitting for long periods of time with continuous network focus. Must be available for a 24/7 rotating and on call schedule.
A detailed and compelling compensation package will be outlined for the selected candidate. Ligado Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.