About Ligado Networks:
Ligado Networks is a Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) operator providing facilities-based services to the public safety, government, and enterprise segments. The Company’s services and products are traditionally used when land-based networks are impacted by a disaster situation and in areas not served by wireless carriers. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently authorized the Company’s MSS spectrum licenses for advanced wireless services, which creates new opportunities to expand Ligado’s technology capabilities and evolve its commercial plans for the emerging 5G future. Working with partners and key vendors to execute its near-term roadmap, Ligado is planning to enhance its MSS network for Internet-of-Things (IoT) services and introduce new, innovative terrestrially-based services.
The Deputy General Counsel will be part of the senior management team and will be expected to function as a key strategic partner to the Chief Legal Officer and to other functional teams. The Deputy General Counsel will be responsible for providing leadership and legal and business counsel in the areas of corporate compliance, corporate governance, domestic and international corporate transactions, M&A and corporate finance, capital raising, complex litigation management, employment, contracts, and the evaluation, selection and supervision of outside legal counsel. The Deputy General Counsel will manage the work allocation and flow of the legal team.
- Provide hands-on advice on all legal matters including (among other things) contract negotiations, corporate governance, ethics, fiduciary obligations, and risk mitigation factors.
- Work with business counterparts in other functional areas to provide solutions to legal issues raised in contracts, on-going programs and new initiatives.
- Develop risk mitigation strategies.
- Draft, structure, review and negotiate strategic and complex commercial agreements and corporate transactions, including highly-structured partnerships and complex mergers, acquisitions and dispositions.
- Advise on various issues such as privacy, antitrust and competition laws, employment, advertising/promotional matters, corporate governance, fiduciary duty, ethics and strategic transaction.
- Manage, support and design company practices, policies and oversight efforts in corporate compliance.
- Select, manage, and effectively leverage the use of outside counsel while controlling costs.
- Actively help manage important stakeholder interactions such as Board meetings and meetings with external audiences, including but not limited to current/future investors and current/future partners.
- Help to manage the legal department budget.
Desired Skills & Attributes
- Extensive knowledge of the satellite, telecommunications and related industries (preferred but not required)
- Communicate clearly and persuasively, both orally and in writing
- Superior critical thinking, analytical, drafting, problem-solving and negotiating skills
- Apply combined business and legal judgment to proposed deals, relationships and other matters requiring legal and compliance attention
- Develop creative, proactive business solutions to difficult legal problems
- Motivates the team, delegates effectively, celebrates diversity within the team, and manages performance; actively works to advance professional development of others
- Experience with corporate restructuring and capital raising
- Self-motivated/takes initiative
- Set priorities, multi-tasks, pivots easily as priorities change and follows through to meet the demands of multiple constituencies
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainly
- Adapts easily
- Lead others through complex situations and builds consensus
- Connect and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence
- Work effectively and constructively with individuals at all levels
Education & Qualifications
- Licensed attorney with a J.D. from a highly ranked and accredited law school with excellent academics
- 10 to 15 years’ experience combining major law firm and/or in-house experience with much of that as an assistant general counsel or deputy general counsel
- Extensive experience managing complex mergers and acquisition and other corporate transactions and providing corporate governance advice
- Candidates must meet eligibility requirements for ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulation) Programs
- Ligado Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Compensation and Benefits
At Ligado, you’ll find our compensation and benefits measure up to those offered by much larger firms, freeing you to get on with the work of making stronger connections. You’ll be fully vested in our retirement program immediately, and have access to many other benefits listed below:
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- 401(k) with 4% company match
- Medical Insurance (Ligado pays 85-90% of premium)
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- AD&D Insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability (fully paid by Ligado)
- Business Travel Accident Coverage
- Tuition Assistance
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Click here to submit your cover letter and resume via our online portal.