Director, Unmanned Systems
The Director, Unmanned Systems (US) will work under the VP, Technology Development and Validation and will quickly become the US subject matter expert and lead for all things US at the company. This is a high profile and critical position because the approved US use case(s) will affect every other engineering function across the company. Our Director, US must have a deep understanding of the regulatory environment, challenges, and decision-making process for US. They will serve as the Ligado representative on US to multiple external and internal customers and understand the challenges of integrating the NAS, the use and importance of safety and use cases, and the regulatory concerns across multiple agencies (i.e. FAA, Rail, DOT, DOE). This person will also have a background in RF engineering concepts (i.e. how to use RF for communications links, radio wave transmissions, wireless communications).
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop an understanding of the current Federal Regulations for industry of future Unmanned Systems and apply the information in how our network can meet similar requirements
- Identify the requirements and capabilities to integrate Unmanned Systems, IOT and MSS services for each of the target verticals
- Work with Engineering and Planning teams of the various RF communication links required to support Unmanned Systems. Provide direction and requirement for Traffic Models, Capacity Planning and Coverage requirements
- Lead the testing, demonstration and trials of potential Unmanned Systems solutions to validate end to end capabilities for target verticals
- Attend conferences and workshops related to Unmanned Systems
- Work with Unmanned Vehicle manufacturers and suppliers in ensuring how our products and services can be integrated into their ecosystem
- Develop the requirements and capabilities of new Hybrid Technology terminals to integrate into the Unmanned Vehicle market and associate verticals pursued by the company.
- Participate and represent the company at standards bodies related to Unmanned Systems
- Provide assistance to the finance and procurement team in procurement of equipment, platforms or technology solutions and participate in the selection process
- Self-starter with a quick learning curve
- Superior critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to effectively work and collaborate with technology, engineering and network operations team to ensure that solutions meet requirements for a network that is efficiently designed, deployable, and operable
- Ability to work with technology partners, outside vendors and customers
- Proactive in identifying and proposing new solutions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and experience in presenting technical issues to all levels of management, as well as non-technical staff
- Ability to create productive presentations on complex projects and present them to peers, management, partners and customers
Education and Preferred Qualifications:
- BS in Electrical Engineering with 10 years of experience or a MS in Electrical Engineering with 5 years of experience in RF Network Design including:
- RF/Microwave Experience with a wireless service provider
- RF Planning Process and use of propagation tools
- RF instrumentation and tools
- Proficiency with software tools including MS Office, and GIS software
- Satellite Experience desired
- Related Experience with Unmanned Autonomous Vehicles ideal
A detailed and compelling compensation package will be outlined for the selected candidate. Ligado Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the job title in the subject line.