Device Test Engineer
About Ligado Networks:
At Ligado Networks, we’re all about connectivity.
As a network service operator, we are driven by the power of connectivity. Its importance to the way we live and work has never been more pervasive. Our connected life is supported by many networks ranging from satellite connectivity that extends mobile coverage to the most remote areas in the U.S. to wireless connectivity that is supporting an explosion of mobile data traffic. At Ligado Networks, we believe in the tried-and-true formula for America’s global leadership in wireless—that more spectrum availability and continued investment in wireless infrastructure can deliver more innovative ways to connect people, devices, objects, vehicles, and buildings in an increasingly mobile lifestyle and economy.
The Device Test Engineer will be part of the Technology Development and Validation organization with responsibility in assisting the overall design and long term evolution to developing a fully integrated satellite and terrestrial wireless network. Responsibilities include detailed device engineering activities related to the end-to-end design and implementation to support the integrated network meeting Business, Technical and Operational requirements. The Device Test engineer will be responsible for working with the various organizations internal to Ligado as well as with associated partners and vendors to develop requirements, processes and standards for network elements, device verification and applications/services comprising the complete Ligado solutions portfolio.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Operate RF test equipment and instruments following established procedures. Finds, collects and gathers information, report generation and maintenance of accurate records. Recommends, designs and builds new test equipment as required for performing tests. Device test hardware development, debug activities, and failure analysis. Insures all RF testing is being conducted in a safe environment.
- Working with “Radio Access”, “ Access Core /IP”, Billing & Operational Support Systems- BSS /OSS and Service Delivery Platforms, accomplishing through the development of device engineering requirements and specifications that address which and how elements, facilities and systems will be addressed, activated and provisioned to support functional requirements and meet service level parameters. Specific areas include: interfacing with device technology evaluation and product development team to ensure requirements are properly captured at the early stage of the device prototyping in a multi-vendor multi-chipset / baseband environment.
- Develop End to End integration, Conformance test plans and criteria that ensure standardization and interoperability of the User Equipment (UE) with other network elements are met.
- Develop and manage the implementation of engineering guidelines for device performance, functionality and reliability. This includes specifications and guidelines such as Interface Control Documents (ICD) and maintenance specifications (Product Changes, hw/w and s/w updates, etc) of device chipset and baseband platforms. Lead prioritization and implementation of bug fixing.
- Act as an arbitrator in resolutions of incompatibilities and compliances supporting cross functional organizations and vendors. Responsible for go-no go “Device” readiness process and report definition. Coordinate testing among labs and track any deviations to defined Quality of Experience. Development of performance matrices and improvement of existing KPIs.
- Strong initiative: must be able to take a high-level requirement, ask questions/seek clarifications, and get the job done.
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language (Python preferred)
- Excellent verbal/written communication and problem solving skills; ability to communicate information to a variety of groups at different technical skill levels
- Skilled at using XCAP, XCAL, and Iperf to isolate and detect device issues
- Ability to use Agilent, Anritsu, and Rhode and Schwarz equipment to Analyze RF signals
- RF/wireless communication concepts
- Prior experience in validation and certification of 4G devices and handsets.
- Knowledge of data networking architectures and technologies, including LTE network reference architectures. Familiarity of 3GPP Interfaces and Technical Specifications.
- Good understanding of OFDM/ODFMA, MIMO, MAC layer, TLS/EPTLS and Data protocols.
- Ability to work in dynamic, fast-paced competitive environment with minimal supervision.
- Good understanding of real-time operating systems (Android etc) , baseband and chipset performance. Technical knowledge in signaling, encoding / vocorders.
- Experience working in mission-critical high availability environments
- Self-starter with a quick learning curve
- Critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to effectively work and collaborate with technology, engineering, and network operations team to ensure that solutions meet requirements for a network that is efficiently designed, deployable and maintainable.
- Ability to assist in creating productive presentations on complex projects and present them to peers, management, partners, and customers
Education and Qualifications
- BS degree in Engineering or three years experience
- Knowledge or familiarity of mobile communication networks (such as LTE) and their principles of operation
- Proficiency with software tools including MS Office
- Experience with device end to end testing preferred
- Satellite Experience desired
A detailed and compelling compensation package will be outlined for the selected candidate. Ligado Networks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click here to submit your cover letter and resume via our online portal.